Impress for Success
How to Stand Out on the Job
Many contract positions have the opportunity to become permanent. So if you are working in a contract position this is the perfect opportunity for you to showcase your performance. Set yourself apart from the rest by showing that you are a valuable Team Member and top performer. This will help your chances significantly when they are ready to hire.
Here’s some advice to help you:
- Always be positive, professional and polite; a good attitude and common courtesy will go a long way.
- Learn everything about your position and do it well; be productive and exceed expectations.
- Show initiative; keep busy and when you’re done a task, ask what you can do next. Don’t wait to be told.
- Attendance is important; arrive early to work, don’t take extended breaks and schedule appointments after work.
- Show enthusiasm and be open to new ideas and learning new skills.
- Don’t get involved in workplace politics or gossip.
- Be a team player and encourage others to try harder.
- Show your commitment; help out by putting in extra time if you can.
- Don’t take on others’ bad habits; set a good example for others to follow.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help; your supervisor would prefer the job be done right.